Dr Jaci Huws is a Senior Lecturer and Director of Internationalisation at the School of Healthcare Sciences, Bangor University.
Jaci teaches on the undergraduate and postgraduate programmes, and is the Programme Leader of the MSc Public Health & Health Promotion course. Jaci has over 30 years’ experience in nursing and health practice, education and research. Her key research interests are on experiences and representations of health, long-term conditions and disability.
Most of Jaci’s research involves the use of qualitative methods and methodologies (Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis (IPA), Discourse Analysis, Grounded Theory), and she is an IPA methodology (UK) Regional/International Contact. Jaci reviews for national funding groups, research journals, and she is a member of the NHS/National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Data Monitoring and Ethics Committee (DMC).
As a Director of Internationalisation, Jaci is involved in the University's Mission in supporting it to become a leading international higher education provider. This involves supporting approaches that enhance the international student experience, working in partnership with global providers, and supporting staff and student global mobility.
Director of Internationalisation
Programme Leader MSc Public Health & Health Promotion
Telephone: +44 (0) 1248 383155
Facebook: Bangor MSc Public Health/Health Promotion: Past & Present
Jaci is Programme Leader for the MSc Public Health & Health Promotion Programme. She is involved in the teaching and supervision of undergraduate, postgraduate and research students. She is Module Organiser and Primary Lecturer for the postgraduate Social & Behavioural Sciences module, the Epidemiology module, and the Principles & Practices of Public Health & Health Promotion module; she also co-leads the Public Health Nutrition Module. Jaci is also involved in teaching on other courses and modules including the undergraduate and postgraduate Research Methods, the Human Sciences, and on an online Infection Prevention 'MOOC'. She also supervises MSc Dissertation students, and PhD/Doctoral students.
Jaci is currently an external examiner for Advanced Research Methods, the MSc Dissertation, and the Professional Doctorate Programme at Glasgow Caledonian University. She has previously externally examined at the University of Central Lancashire (MREs), The Open University (MSc), the University of Wolverhampton (Doctoral), the University of Essex (Doctoral), and Leeds Metropolitan University (BSc/MSc).
*Bangor University Group Membership*
- College of Health and Behavioural Sciences Internationalisation Group.
- School of Healthcare Sciences Marketing Strategy Group.
- Schools of Healthcare Sciences and Medical Sciences Academic Ethics Committee.
- Pwyllgor Ymchwil a Dysgu Cyfrwng Cymraeg / Welsh Medium Research and Teaching Committee.
- Postgraduate Research Forum member.
- Bangor University Admissions Officers Group, and Admissions Forum Member.
- Committee member/Organiser: Bangor University Deaf & Hearing Impairment Annual Conference.
- Board of Studies.
- Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board International Health Group.
- Betsi-Quthing (Wales for Africa) Group.
- Public Health Wales (Wales for Africa – Uganda) Group.
- Data Monitoring (and Ethics) Committee (DM(E)C), National Institute of Health Research Evaluation, Trial and Studies Co-ordinating Centre (NETSCC) for Health Technology Assessment (HTA).
- Public Health Network Cymru’s Advisory Group.
- Public Health Cymru Network Reference Group.
- NIHR (RfPB) Reviewer.
*Membership and Fellowship*
- Nursing and Midwifery Council
- Fellowship: Royal Society for Public Health.
- European Public Health Association Member.
- Society for Social Medicine Member.