Division: Financial Studies, Bangor Business School.
Location: Room 1.04, Hen Goleg
Telephone: 01248 38 8193
John Ashton has over 40 refereed academic publications published on topics ranging from regulation of financial and utility markets, pricing and competition policy and the operation of financial services markets. John was appointed at Bangor Business School in May 2010, having formerly worked at the University of Leeds, the University of East Anglia and Bournemouth University. John was a founder member of the ESRC Centre for Competition Policy at the University of East Anglia, and has been a member of the International Institute for Banking and Financial Services at the University of Leeds. John is currently appointed to the academic panel of the Competition and Markets Authority and has previously undertaken training for the Financial Conduct Authority. John has been editor in chief of the Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance for a number of years.
- Winner ‘Best Paper’ Award International Journal of the Economics of Business. 2013.
- Winner Outstanding Paper Award: Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance 2007 (with Laura Costanzo)
Other indicators of the impact of research
I attempt to disseminate my research findings as widely as possible. To date, I have been interviewed for the financial, scientific and national press, national (Radio 4, BBC Radio Wales) and local radio (BBC Radio Ulster) and have had research work reported in a diverse assortment of media publications ranging from the Times Higher Educational Supplement, The Daily Mail, The Financial Times, The Times, the BBC and the Daily Star. I have also been involved with a range of policy related activities and advisory roles for institutions in the UK and internationally including DG SANCO and the UK Payments Taskforce.
John is Editor in Chief of the Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance.
Academic Roles in Bangor Business School
- Postgraduate and undergraduate teaching, research and supervision
- Academic Director Chartered Banker MBA.
- Lead - Franchised and Validated Programmes Bangor Business School
- Moderator for the Bangor University partnership with the Bahrain Institute of Banking and Finance
- Elected Honorary Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Bankers of Scotland (2016)
- PhD, Bournemouth University
- MSc Economics, Portsmouth University
- BSc(Econ), University College Swansea