Direct work telephone: + 44 (0)1248 - 382585 (voicemail available)
Office: Athrolys (Top Floor, Office 201)
Office Hours (2018/19, Semester 2): Tuesdays, 1pm-3pm
Dr. Mark Hyland's expertise and principal research interests lie in the field of Intellectual Property Law, with a particular focus on Copyright Law. He also has a strong interest in the interface between Intellectual Property Law and related fields such as Competition Law and, Information Technology Law.
Dr. Hyland was awarded his PhD by Newcastle University in 2014 for a thesis that critically evaluates the application of the tort Private International Law rules to the internet, using online copyright infringements as a case study.
Besides his PhD, he also holds the following academic and professional qualifications:
- BCL (University College Dublin)
- Diploma in European Law (University College Dublin)
- LL.M. (EU Law) (Katholieke Universiteit Leuven)
- Solicitor (Republic of Ireland - non-practising)
Dr. Hyland's professional experience straddles academia and private practice. Prior to joining Bangor Law School, he lectured part-time in University College Dublin's Sutherland School of Law. There, he taught Copyright and Associated Rights and, Commercial Law. As a solicitor, he practised in Dublin and Brussels. He has practised in the following fields of Law: Conveyancing (as a trainee and newly qualified solicitor); Commercial Litigation; Irish and EU Competition Law (the latter in Brussels) and, Banking/Financial Services Law. Dr. Hyland worked in the Finance & Capital Markets department of Matheson, one of the largest commercial law firms in the Republic of Ireland.
Dr. Hyland's roles within the Law School:
- Director of the LLM Programme in Intellectual Property Law
- Director of the LLM Programme in International Banking Law
- Co-Director of the Bangor Centre for International Law
- Erasmus Coordinator
- International Exchanges Coordinator
- Liaison with the European School of Law, Université Toulouse 1 Capitole (our partner university)
- Member of the Employability Committee
- Internships Officer (UK and International)
Dr. Hyland is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. In 2016, he was awarded a Bangor University Teaching Fellowship for excellence in teaching.
Dr. Hyland teaches at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
SXL 2136/3136 Intellectual Property Law (semesters 1 and 2)
SXL 4004/4404 Intellectual Property Law (semester 1)
SXL 4001/4401 Competition Law (semester 2)
SXL 4005/4405 International Banking Law (semester 2)
SXL 4109/4119 Legal Research Methods (semesters 1 and 2)
As of January, 2019, Dr Hyland has, as first supervisor, successfully supervised 4 PhD theses to completion. Three of the PhD candidates were awarded their PhD Degree without conditions while the fourth was awarded their PhD Degree subject to minor changes (4 weeks).