Dr James Walmsley MICFor
Room G6, Thoday Building
Bangor Gwynedd LL57 2UW Wales
Telephone: +44(0)1248 382448
As a lecturer my primary focus is overseeing several degree programmes in forestry at undergraduate and postgraduate level. I take great pride in my teaching and I am fortunate to work in a collegiate and supportive university where the learning experience of all students is paramount.
I am always keen to celebrate the achievements and successes of our amazing students. You can find many such stories on this webpage as well as in recent forestry@bangor alumni newsletters. Follow @BUForestry on Twitter to find out more!
If you want to find out more about what my role entails, this recent article published in the Forestry Journal will give you some idea.
I maintain active links across the forestry profession within the UK and beyond and use these to develop excellent opportunities for teaching, learning and research. These include:
- government agencies (such as Natural Resources Wales, Forestry England, Forestry Commission, Forestry and Land Scotland),
- research agencies (such as Forest Research and the Forestry Research Institute of Ghana)
- private forestry companies (such as Tilhill Forestry, Scottish Woodlands, Gresham House Forestry, James Jones & Sons, etc)
- non-governmental organisations (such as the Woodland Trust, National Trust, Llais y Goedwig)
- charitable bodies (such as the Royal Forestry Society and Woodland Heritage)
- professional organisations (the Institute of Chartered Foresters)
- community woodland groups (such as Llyn Parc Mawr)
- bangor forestry alumni who are dispersed across the UK and beyond
One of the best things about my job is helping the dreams of Bangor University students come true. The following are just a few examples:
- Top placements with Natural Resources Wales for three exceptional Bangor forestry students
- Graduate profiles (distance learning)
- The most decorated BSc Forestry graduates for a generation?
- Blazing a trail into the forestry profession
- Where can a BSc Forestry degree from Bangor University take you?
- MSc Forestry distance learning graduate wins writing prize at Houses of Parliament
- Tropical Forestry students publish findings from their research in Ghana
- MSc Forestry (distance learning) student receives special Silviculture Award