Professor Davey Jones
Position: Professor of Soil & Environmental Science
Office: Environment Centre Wales (Ecosystems & Environment, 2nd floor)
Tel: 01248 382579 (from U.K.), +44 1248 382579 (International)
Davey Jones holds a Professorial Chair in Soil and Environmental Science at Bangor University. Previously, he was a Postdoctoral Research Fellow held jointly between Cornell University and the US Department of Agriculture in the USA (with Prof Leon Kochian). He also carried out postdoctoral work under Prof Simon Gilroy at Penn State University. A major focus of his research is on understanding below-ground processes with specific focus on nutrients and human pathogen behavior in soil-plant-microbial systems.
Current applications of his work include (1) the implementation of strategies for controlling E. coli O157 and viral pathogens in agricultural, freshwater and marine ecosystems, (2) promoting carbon sequestration in agricultural systems and understanding the factors regulating carbon cycling and greenhouse gas emissions, (3) developing ways to improve nutrient use efficiency in cropping systems with specific focus on nitrogen and phosphorus, (4) nutrient dynamics in polar (Arctic and Antarctic ecosystems), (5) devising strategies for the effective reuse of wastes for land restoration and remediation (heavy metals and organic pollutants), (6) soil microbial diversity and ecosystem functioning, (7) modelling nutrients dynamics in the plant-soil-microbial and freshwater ecosystems, (8) understanding the barriers to technology adoption by farmers, (9) the flow of endocrine disrupting chemicals in the environment, and (10) the impact of flooding, drought and ozone on ecosystem functioning (including tipping points) and potential strategies to enhance ecosystem resilience.
He has published more than 400 scientific journal articles (H-index = 65; 18,100 citations) and has advised government on both their waste and climate change policies. His research is mainly funded via NERC, BBSRC, Welsh Government, Defra and the European Union.
Responsibilities within SENRGY/Bangor University
- School (SENRGY) Management Committee Member
- School (SENRGY) Research Committee Member
- School (SENRGY) Henfaes Committee: Research
- School (SENRGY) Radiation Protection Officer
Current external Responsibilities:
- BBSRC Panel Member
- NERC College Member
- Welsh Government Land Use and Climate Change Group Member
- Associate Editor with Agriculture
- Associate Editor with Soil and Environmental Science
- Editor with Soil and Environment
- Associate Editor with Rhizosphere
- Chinese Academy of Sciences Visiting Professorship for Senior International Scientists
- Training manager for the STARS College of Doctoral Training in Soil Science
- Adjunct Professor at Clemson University
Qualifications and Membership of Professional Bodies
- B.Sc. (Hons), Soil Science, University of Aberdeen
- Ph.D, Plant Science, University of Oxford
- Member of the British Society of Soil Science
Plant-soil-microbe interactions, Environmental Pollution, Human Pathogens, Dissolved Organic Nitrogen, Soil Quality, Freshwater pollution, Crop Science, Greenhouse Gas Emissions, Agronomy and Modelling.
My research project websites