School of Envionment, Natural Resource and Geography,
Tel: +44 (0)1248 382286
I am a system scientist primarily interested in agroforestry systems. In particular my research focuses on the capacity of trees outside woodland to deliver ecosystem services, resilience and sustainable intensification. I am interested in how livelihood and wellbeing benefits from these systems are distributed across scales (in both tropical and temperate systems). Much of my recent research has been with Fergus Sinclair, primarily with the World Agroforestry Centre, ICRAF). I have extensive experience of using local knowledge for natural resource management and understanding socio-ecological systems. My PhD focused on the development of negotiation support tools (specifically Polyscape) for exploring trade-offs and synergies amongst impacts of land use change on ecosystem services (see Pagella and Sinclair, 2014; Jackson et al., 2013).
Currently I am working on:
- RHoMIS (Rural Household Multiple Indicator Survey) - which is a climate smart agricultural characterisation tool - with James Hammond .
- MULTILAND project - which examines the role of shelterbelt systems for building resilience in temperate upland systems.
- The West Africa Forest-Farm Interface Project (WAFFI): Strengthening smallholder food security, income and gender equity within West Africa’s forest-farm interface
- Darwin Project - Landscape approach to enhance biodiversity and livelihoods in the Comoros
- Natural Resources Wales - working in partnership with Environment systems on 'GIS for area statements'
Bangor, School of Natural Sciences
I am the Module leader for
DXX-1003 Forestry in the 21st Century
DXX 4505 Matural Resource Management (MSc)
I contribute teaching to a range of modules within SNS including
DDL-4004, DDL4201, DXX1001, DXX3707, DXX2001 and DXX3016
Bangor Collage China
I am the programme lead for Bangor University's undergraduate forestry programme at the join Bangor-Central South University of Forestry and Technology University Campus, Changsha, China
Current PhD Supervision:
Ashley Hardaker (2018-2021)
Mary Crossland (2018-2021) ICRAF
Anne Kuria (2014-2018) ICRAF - Submitted
Mai Phuong Nguyen (2015-2019) ICRAF
Emilie Smith (ICRAF) Complete
James Hammond (ICRAF/ILRI) Complete