Mr Geraint Ellis
Senior Lecturer in Media
After graduating in Law at Oxford University, I have followed a career which has bridged the worlds of broadcasting and higher education, and have spent periods working at Aberystwyth University, BBC Wales, Bangor University and television company Cwmni Da. I therefore have over fifteen years’ experience of producing radio and TV programmes and have also spent over fifteen years working in higher education. My broadcasting background lies mostly in arts broadcasting, and this is the subject of the PhD I am currently undertaking.
I teach and co-ordinate modules in the area of media practice and the creative industries more generally, both at undergraduate and postgraduate level, specialising in Radio Studies. I also supervise individual research projects for undergraduates and Masters students.
My research interests correspond to a large extent to my vocational experiences, and include the following:
- Arts broadcasting
- Radio in Wales
- History of Film in Wales
Selection of papers, conference presentations and publications
- ‘Quality and popularity in arts documentaries: a producer’s perspective’, paper presented at the Language/Voice Symposium, Aberystwyth University, June 2015.
- Chapter entitled 'Twin Town, Ffilmiau'r 1990au a'r Etifeddiaeth Ffilm Gymreig' (Twin Town, 1990s Films and the Welsh Film Legacy), published in ‘Ysgrifau ar Ffilm a'r Cyfryngau, ed. E.H.G. Jones Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol, August 2012.
- Presentation on arts review shows, Cyfrwng conference, Swansea University, July 2012.
- ‘Addysgu’r Genedl? – Cyfraniad Darlledu yng Nghymru’ (Educating the Nation? The Contribution of Broadcasting in Wales), 'Adrodd ein Stori' (‘Telling our Story’) education and the media conference, Swansea University, 2011
- ‘Ffilm, Ffantasi a Fformiwla’, article in Tu Chwith, 2003.
- 'Ffilmiau’r Nawdegau a’r Etifeddiaeth Ffilm Gymreig’ (1990s Films and the Welsh Film Legacy), National Library of Wales conference, 2002.
- ‘Hanes Ffilm a’r Cyfryngau yng Nghymru’ (History of Film and the Media in Wales), Bangor University international student conference, Gregynog, 2001.
- 'Old Wales, New Wales and the Cinema: Issues of representation and genre in Welsh and Welsh-based feature films', European Cinema conference, Bangor, 2001.
- ‘Stereophonic Nation: The Bilingual Sounds of Cool Cymru FM', International Journal of Communication, 2000, and a paper of the same name at the Radiocracy conference held in Cardiff, 1999.
- Regular columns/articles on radio published in the journal ‘Barn’ 1995-1998, e.g. ‘Damcaniaeth y Big Bang’, December 1995; ‘Radio Cymru i Cym FM – Arolwg Iaith Radio Cymru’, February 1997; ‘Miss Wales’, July 1997.
Selection of radio and television productions
- Producer/executive producer of 8 series of Y Sioe Gelf (2002-09)
- Producer/executive producer Pethe cultural programme strand (2010-11)
- Producer and director of the following arts documentaries:
Lleisiau Mewn Anialwch – Stori Brodyr y Ffin (2004), Pesda Roc (2005), Cyfrinach Merch Taliaris (2005), Rhodri Jones – Yn Ôl (2006), Tro yn yr Yrfa - Stori Archie Rhys Griffiths (2006), Ar Drywydd Dic Aberdaron (2007), Y Bêl Gelfydd (2008).
- Producer and director of the history documentary Y Royal Charter (2009).
- Producer and director of the factual entertainment programme 40 Uchaf Siart y Dywediadau (2009).
- Producer of the following (arts/ethical) discussion programmes Croma (2003), Sioe Gelf ‘Steddfod (2006, 2007), Pethe Hwyrach (2010-11), Dweud Pethe (2010-11).
- Producer/executive producer of a number of other arts documentaries, e.g. Dyrys Daith (2005), Galeri – Yn y Doc (2005), Theatr i’r Bobl (2007), Yr Ail Filltir (2007), Lawr yn y Ddinas (2008), Man Gwyn, Man Draw (2008), Rhwng y Llygru a’r Glasu (2008), Salem (2008), Adrodd: yr Hanes (2009), Tydi a Roddaist (2009), Prosiect y Plygain (2009),Therapi Celf – Mwy na Geiriau (2009), Cymru yn Washington (2009), Fi a Mr Urdd (2010), Annette Bryn Parri - Byd o Gerdd (2011), Pobl y Ffin (2011).
- Co-director of the arts documentary Duw a Ŵyr, which was nominated for the best arts programme award at the Celtic Film and Television Festival.
- Producer of many radio programmes for Radio Cymru between 1988 and 2002, mainly factual programmes and music programmes, e.g. Stondin Ddyddiol, Sioe Siartiau, Gill.
- One of founders of music service Hwyrach on Radio Cymru in 1989, and creator/first producer of popular programme Ar y Marc in 1992.
- Producer responsible for introducing regular live music sessions on Radio Cymru for the first time, 1990.
- I have also produced factual/sports material to be broadcast on Radio Wales and Radio 5.
- Chair of school’s Welsh medium Learning and Research Committee
- School Employability Officer
- School Widening Access Officer
- Member of school’s Teaching and Learning committee.
- Member of the College of Arts and Humanities’ Welsh medium committee
- One of the College’s representatives on the University’s Welsh language Strategy Task Group.
External reviews and examinations etc.
- External examiner for the Department of Theatre, Film and Television, Aberystwyth University, 2002-06.
- External examiner for Swansea University Media/Welsh departments from 2012 for a period of four years.
- Reader for University of Wales Press, 2012.
- Adjudicator in Celtic Film and Television Festival, Welsh National Eisteddfod, Radio Ffocws Awards, Llanberis Mountain Film Festival.
- Member of the executive committee of Fflic Fflac, a festival for the media and young people, 1994-97
- Member of the executive committee of the Bangor Fiction/Cult Fiction Festival, 1997-2001, introducing several films at the festival every year.
- One of organisers of Cyfrwng conference, Bangor 2014.
- One of the organisers of the ‘Beyond Borders’ creative industries networking event, January 2018.
- Chairing Q & A events at Pontio and Galeri.
- Organising and conducting media workshops for local schools and community groups – TOP scheme and other initiatives.
- Media commentator on radio-related issues.