Phone: +44 (0)1248 388884
Location: Room 203, Athrolys
Dr. Hayley Roberts is an international lawyer with a specialisation in the law of the sea. She completed her undergraduate studies at the University of Wales, Bangor, where she graduated with a LLB (Hons) in Law. She later won two doctoral scholarships to complete a PhD at the same institution, examining the legal protection of underwater cultural heritage in the UK and internationally. Having taught at the School since 2007, she joined as a Lecturer in Public International Law in 2013.
Dr. Roberts’ main research interests are in the areas of the protection of underwater cultural heritage, dispute resolution within the law of the sea, and school admissions for summer-born children. She is a Commissioner for the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments in Wales, and a member of the Wales Observatory on Children’s Rights.
Dr. Roberts is particularly interested in supervising PhDs related to issues of underwater cultural heritage/historic shipwrecks and dispute resolution in public international law (particularly UNCLOS 1982). She is also prepared to consider applications with interesting research proposals relating to public international law or the law of the sea more generally.
Dr. Roberts was awarded a Bangor University Teaching Fellowship in 2017 and is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- SXL 3142: International Law of the Sea (module leader)
- SXL 3110: International Law and Contemporary Issues (module leader)
- SCL 2141/3141: Y Gyfraith ar Waith (module leader)
- SCL 2115/3115: Materion Cyfoes Cyfreithiol yn y Gymraeg (module leader)
- Maritime Law LLM (programme director)
- Law of the Sea LLM (programme director)
- SXL 4040: Public International Law (module leader)
- SXL 4048: International Law of the Sea (module leader)
- SXL 4049: Admiralty Law (module leader)
Dr. Roberts is the Director of Welsh Medium Provision for the School of Law, and is also the Chair of the Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol's Law, Criminology and Policing Subject Panel.