Consultancy: Inter-governmental, Government and Industry
- 2018 Report on The Right To Privacy In The Age Of Emotional AI (for The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights)
- 2018 Invited participant: United Nations expert workshop on right to privacy in the digital age.
- 2018 Invited witness at UK Parliament, DCMS Committee's oral evidence session on Fake News.
- 2018 Institute of Electrical & Electronics Engineers Working Group voting member (P7000 on ethical design and P70002 on data privacy).
- 2018 Expert input on Re-Work AI white paper on Ethical Implications of AI.
- 2017 Report on Written Submissions On How To Combat Fake News (UK Parliament fake news inquiry).
- 2017 Report: And then there’s Emotional AI (For House of Lords Select Committee on Artificial Intelligence.
- 2017 Report: Fake News: Media Economics & Emotional Button-Pushing (UK Parliament fake news inquiry).
- 2017 House of Parliament presentation on development of fake news and branded content.
- 2016 Open Rights Group, academic advisor on data protection.
- 2016-2018 Advisory Board Member for Sensing Feeling (a retail consortia project exploring Emotional AI).
- 2015 UK Government, Office for Science, ‘Understanding Influence’ workshop/1000 word report.
- 2015 Information Commissioner’s Office, advisor and member of the Policy Delivery department.
- 2015 Committee of Advertising Practice, advisor on ethics of emotion-sensitive technology.
- 2015 Internet Advertising Bureau (Europe), advisor on ethics in digital advertising.
- 2015 By invitation, Expert Discussion on Adblocking, European Parliament, Brussels.
- 2014-2015 Drive Productions (developing wearable technology for experiential marketing events).
- 2014-2016 Voting Kantara Working Group member on developing digital consent receipts.
- 2018: co-production of white paper to shape European Commission’s (EC) research agenda on the internet's impact on echo chambers, fake news and populism (H2020 framework and FP9).
- 2017-current: Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) reviewer
- 2016-current: Arts & Humanities Research Council (AHRC) Peer College member
- 2017-current: External Examiner, Goldsmiths (Univ. of London), MA Advertising & Promotional Culture
- 2016-2017: MSA (Egypt)/Univ. of Bedfordshire, BA Mass Comms, Advertising & PR
- 2014-current: External Examiner: Falmouth University, BA Creative Advertising
- 2012-2015: External Examiner: Middlesex Univ., MSc Media Management
- 2013-current: International Assessor: Research Foundation Flanders.
New Media & Society (Editorial board), Big Data & Society (Guest Editor for special issue on Veillance & Transparency 2017). I regularly review for Surveillance & Society, Theory, Culture & Society, Digital Journalism, International Journal of Communication, Journal of Cultural Economy, Telematics and Informatics, Social Science Computer Review, Association of Internet Researchers, International Association for Media and Communication Research, Emerald, Continuum, Routledge, Sage and Palgrave MacMillan.
Emotiveillance: Smart Advertising, Retail and the Privacy Problem (2019) Liverpool Screen School, LMJU, UK.
Intimacy in the Age of Artificial Intelligence (2018) Grounded Festival, Ljubljana, Slovenia.
Emotional AI: Nature, Form, Ethics,Governance (2018) Pratt Institute, New York.
AI and Creative Practice (2018) Bond University, Queensland, Australia.
Intimacy and the Civic Body: Emotional AI and the City (2018) Information Law and Policy Centre, London.
All Smiles? Emotional AI, Ethics, Industry Views & Citizen Perspectives (2018), Re-Work summit on Machine Learning, AI & Digital Assistants, San Francisco, USA.
Understanding the Significance of Emotional AI and Empathic Media (2018), New Lines of (In)Sight, CRISP, University of Stirling.
Emotional AI: Ethics, Citizens and Ubiquitous Feeling-Into (2017), Re-Work global summiton AI & Digital Assistants, London, UK.
Fake News & Digital Advertising(2017), House of Commons, UK Parliament, London.
Some Context to Branded Content & Advertising (2017). Theorising Branded Content, Univ. of East London.
Empathic Media: The Case of Advertising (2017), CPDP, Brussels.
Some Context to Branded Content and Advertising (2017), keynote, Theorising Branded Content, University of East London.
Empathic Media and Advertising (2016), keynote, The Future of Advertising, University of the Arts, LCC.
Researching Empathic Media: Corporate Access, Methods and Ethics (2016), University of Sheffield.
Empathic Media: In the Workplace (2016), Society for Computers and Law, 11KBW.
McStay, A. (2016) Empathic Media: The Case of Gaming, Stanford University.
McStay, A. and Bakir, V. (2016) Veillant Media: ‘Veillant Panoptic Assemblage’ and ‘Emotiveillance, University of Toronto.
McStay, A. (2016) Empathic Media project Intimacy, consent and tracking emotions in public, Digital Catapult, London UK.
Bakir, V. & McStay (2015). Forced Transparency or Equivellant Transparency, post-Snowden (or who is challenging the state’s surveillance agenda of radical transparency? Media, Agenda Building, National Security and Forced Transparency. For DATA-PSST! ESRC Seminar series. Brunel University, 8 July 2015.
Bakir, V. & A.McStay. (2015). Invited speakers: Debating and Assessing Transparency Arrangements: Privacy, Security, Surveillance, Trust (DATA-PSST!): evaluating perspectives on surveillance in the post-Snowden leak era. Surveillance and Citizenship State-Media-Citizen Relations After the Snowden Leaks. Cardiff University, UK. ESRC-sponsored. 18-19 June 2015.
What of Consent in an Age of Empathic Media (2015) Meaningful Consent workshop, University of Southampton.
Privacy as Affective Protocol (2015) DATAPSST!, University of Sheffield.
Towards an Understanding of Emotional Analytics (2014) Marketing Communications Society, University of Greenwich, London
Exploring the Pharmacology of Empathic Media (2014) Centre for the Study of Science and Imagination, University of Westminster, London.
Sensational creativity in advertising (2014) Media and Culture Research Seminars, Institute of Art and Design, Birmingham City University.
Redefining the Object of Critique: Creative Advertising as an Event (2013) International Communication Association (ICA), London,
Rethinking Advertising: From Being to Becoming (2012) For Your Eyes Only: Privacy, Empowerment and Technology in the Context of Social Networks, Brussels, Belguim.
I Consent: Search, Privacy, Behavioural Advertising and the Cookie Directive (2012) Leuven Arenberg Doctoral School Training Programme, University of Leuven, Belgium.
Exploring the Cultural Contours of Digital Advertising (2010) The Media Studies Conference, British Film Institute (BFI), London.
Towards an autopoietic conception of behavioural advertising audiences (2010) Media, Culture and Journalism Research Seminars, University of Glamorgan.
Exploring Audiences in Web 2.0 (2008) Media Research: New Issues, Perspectives and Methods, Institute of Art and Design, Birmingham City University.
2018 ESRC-AHRC UK-Japan SSH Connections 'Emotional AI: Comparative Considerations for UK and Japan across Commercial, Political and Security Sectors' (PI £50,000)
2018 ESRC IAA Knowledge Exchange Fellowship ‘Emotional AI: Developing Ethics, Standards and Governance’ (PI £10,769.75)
2016: Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) ‘Branded Content Research Network’ Award (Project mentor and advisory group member, £45,000, PI Jonathan Hardy at University of East London)
2016: The Space (Veillance), £50,000 from The Space + £25,000 Arts Council Wales (CI for Ronan Devlin, Pontio designer in residence, Bangor University).
2015: Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC), 'Empathic Media: Theory-Building and Knowledge-Exchange with Industry, Regulators and NGOs' (PI, £166,718)
2014: ESRC Research Seminar Competition, 'DATA - PSST! Debating and Assessing Transparency Arrangements - Privacy, Security, Surveillance, Trust' (CI, £30,000)
2014: Strategic Insight Programme (SIP), ‘Advertising in Wales’ (PI, £2500)
2019: William Evans Fellowship, University of Otago in New Zealand (NZ$ 7500)
Media appearances and public engagement:
Interviews: Studio City for RTV Slovenija, Scientific American, The Sun, Guardian, The Register, ABC Radio (Australia), BBC Radio 4, BBC Wales, BBC Worldwide to discuss technology. Writing for industry outlets includes: Information Week, Information Age, WPP, ESOMAR, Privacy & Business Law and The Conversation on technology and politics. Documentary appearances: ‘Drawing the Line’ (Sensum) on emotional AI, Political Economy of Media (Sage), and Advertising (Lambert Productions).
Journalism: I write for The Conversation on matters involving advertising, technology and privacy. All articles available here. I have have also written for Sparksheet/WPP, an advertising industry publication. See here.
- Salon: invited discussion member at Privacy, Protection, Publicity: Does your Freedom have Boundaries? Dialogue, Shoreditch, London.
- Learning & Teaching Award (2008) from HEFCE/TQEF recognising excellence in teaching and learning support.
- Learning & Teaching Award (2007) from HEFCE/TQEF recognising excellence in teaching and learning support.
Institute of Electrical & Electronics Engineers; International Communication Association; Media, Communications & Cultural Studies Association; Association of Internet Researchers; International Association for Media & Communication Research; Authors’ Licensing & Collecting Society; Personal Data Trust Network (Digital Catapult).
Various lapsed blogs can be found online, but I'm active on Twitter @digi-ad.