Sonya joined BBS as a Lecturer in Marketing prior to which she was a postgraduate teaching and research assistant at the school. She obtained her PhD in Place Branding in 2011. Her PhD develops and empirically tests a theoretical model of strategic place brand management to explain the process of branding geographical entities (towns, cities, regions).
Current and previous BBS roles:
- PGT Dissertation Co-ordinator,
- UG and PGT dissertation supervision,
- PhD supervision,
- Personal tutor,
- Director of Student Engagement (2019-2021),
- Disability Officer (2016-2017),
- Ethics Officer (2016-2017).
- IBM Universities Business Challenge Co-ordinator (2011, 2012).
UG and PG Teaching:
- E-Marketing (ASB 3114, ASB/ABJ 4114)
- International Marketing (ASB 3439, ASB/ABJ 4439)
- International Marketing Projects (ASB/ABJ 4524, and 4525)
- PGT Dissertations (ASB/ABJ 4900, and 4901)
- Marketing Strategy and Management (ASB 3103, 2013-2020)
- Entrepreneurial Marketing (ASB 4429, 2013-2014)
UG and PGT Dissertation Supervisor
- Surbhi Jain (2014-2020) passed with minor corrections.
Sonya is a Lecturer in Marketing at Bangor Business School. She sits on the management board for the 'Places of Climate Change' (PloCC) Research Centre at the University, is an editorial board member for the Journal of Place Management and Development, and a member of the scientific committee for the International Place Branding Association (IPBA). Her research is place focused considering aspects of the place branding process from various perspectives, but more recently looking at sustainability, sustainable tourism, and places and climate change.
More recently, in collaboration with Prof Mihalis Kavaratzis (MMU) and Cecilia Pasquinelli (university of Napels), Martin de Jong (University of Rotterdam), and Erik Braun (Copenhagen Business School) submitted a special panel sessions titled 'Marketing for Better Cities: setting the agenda for responsible, inclusive, smart and equitable places' to the Academy of Marketing of Science 2023.
- Hanna, S., and Rowley, J. (2017), “Projected Destination Personalities of European Capital Cities”, The International Place Branding Association Conference.
- Hanna, S., and Rowley, J. (2016), "Social Media in Place Branding: a review", The International Place Branding Association Conference.
- CELT Learning and Teaching conference (2016), Bangor University.
- Hanna, S., and Rowley, J. (2013), "Brand Architecture in Place Branding", in: 3rd International Place Management and Branding Conference: Manchester Metropolitan University Business School, UK.
- Hanna, S., and Rowley, J. (2012), "Place Brand Practitioners Perspectives on the Management of Brand Experience", Academy of Marketing Conference on Marketing: catching the technology wave, University of Southampton Management School, UK. Won best paper in track award for tourism.
- Hanna, S., and Rowley, J. (2011), "A Practitioner Led Strategic Place Brand Management Model", Academy of Marketing Conference on Marketing Fields Forever, University of Liverpool Management School, UK.
- Hanna, S. (2007), "Objectives and Processes in Place Branding", Academy of Marketing Conference on Marketing Theory and Practice, Kingston Business School, UK.
- Rowley, J. and Jones, R. and Hanna, S. and Vassiliou, M. (2010), “Using Card-based Methods in Semi-Structured Interviews”, in: 9th European Conference on Research Methodologies for Business and Management Studies, IE Business School, Madrid.
Reviewer for the Journal of Marketing Theory, Journal of Marketing Management, Urban Studies, Cities, European Management Review and Journal of Place Branding and Public Diplomacy.
Telephone: 01248 38 8077
Location: Room 1.14, Hen Goleg