Sonya Hanna joined Bangor Business School in September 2013 as a Lecturer in Marketing prior to which she was a postgraduate teaching and research assistant at the university where she taught Marketing Research. She obtained her PhD thesis in Place Branding at Bangor University in July 2011. Her thesis develops and empirically tests a theoretical model of strategic place brand management to explain the process of branding geographical entities (towns, cities, regions). Sonya’s current research explores place branding further looking in greater detail at the components of the strategic process.
Roles within Bangor Business School:
- UG and PGT dissertation supervision,
- PhD supervision
- Personal tutor,
- Teaching advisor and mentor, PGCertHE,
- Lead organisor of the consumer research summit (one day conference),
- Director of Student Engagment.
Sonya’s research interests are focused on place branding and in particular the process of strategic place brand management, considering place brand communications in the digital arena and looking at the development of brand architecture and the alignment of stakeholder objectives and negotiations by leadership. Her other interests lie in the categorisation of stakeholder roles and how they provide the brand experience considering public encounters.
- Hanna, S., and Rowley, J. (2017), “Projected Destination Personalities of European Capital Cities”, The International Place Branding Association Conference.
- Hanna, S., and Rowley, J. (2016), "Social Media in Place Branding: a review", The International Place Branding Association Conference.
- CELT Learning and Teaching conference (2016), Bangor University.
- Hanna, S., and Rowley, J. (2013), "Brand Architecture in Place Branding", in: 3rd International Place Management and Branding Conference: Manchester Metropolitan University Business School, UK.
- Hanna, S., and Rowley, J. (2012), "Place Brand Practitioners Perspectives on the Management of Brand Experience", Academy of Marketing Conference on Marketing: catching the technology wave, University of Southampton Management School, UK. Won best paper in track award for toruism.
- Hanna, S., and Rowley, J. (2011), "A Practitioner Led Strategic Place Brand Management Model", Academy of Marketing Conference on Marketing Fields Forever, University of Liverpool Management School, UK.
- Hanna, S. (2007), "Objectives and Processes in Place Branding", Academy of Marketing Conference on Marketing Theory and Practice, Kingston Business School, UK.
- Rowley, J. and Jones, R. and Hanna, S. and Vassiliou, M. (2010), “Using Card-based Methods in Semi-Structured Interviews”, in: 9th European Conference on Research Methodologies for Business and Management Studies, IE Business School, Madrid.
- "The Projected Destination Brand Personalities of European Capital Cities and their Positioning" (2019) with, Prof. J Rowley (Accepted/Published).
- "Place and Destination Branding: A Review of Constructs and their Operationalization" (2018) with, Prof. J Rowley and Dr B Keegan, (Submitted).
- "Branding Destinations: Symbolic Representations, Narrative Representations, and Co-branding" (2019) with, Prof. J Rowley, (Accepted/Published).
External Examiner: University of Wolverhampton (September 2017 - present)
Contributing Member: The Place Brand Observer
Editorial Board Memember: Journal of Place Managment and Development
Ad-hoc Refereeing: Journal of Place Management and Development, Journal of Place Branding and Public Diplomacy, Journal of Marketing Management, Journal of Marketing Theory, Urban Studies, Cities.
- Outstanding Reviewer for Journal of Place Management and Development (2017) Emerald Literati Awards.
- Centre for the Enhancement of Learning: CELT Associate Award (2016).
- Best Paper in Track Award - Hanna, S., and Rowley, J. (2012), "Place Brand Practitioners Perspectives on the Management of Brand Experience", Academy of Marketing Conference on Marketing: catching the technology wave, University of Southampton Management School, UK.
Telephone: 01248 38 8077
Location: Room 1.14, Hen Goleg